January 23, 2009

Nova? I dont think so...

Its been a long boring day, so forgive the sudden increase in blog posts.

Anyway, I've decided that Radio Nova, despite seeming to be played in every cafe in Turku, along with every lab in my department, is actually pretty rubbish. I mean, for about the third time this week I've heard that terrible Kwan song 10,000 Light Years, which is through to the final of the Finnish national selection, and as previously stated, I have my ipod in my ears most of the time.

So I was worried that it was rather popular with the Finnish public and has the best chance of getting through to ESC. So I thought it may have recently been released and decided to look for the first time in a long time at the Finnish charts. I'm surprised how many songs are in the top 10 that I have never heard on Radio Nova. Lets review (in no order as the websites im using cant seem to agree which order they are in either);

Lady GaGa; As I couldnt seem to be able to watch the official video for Just Dance anywhere on youtube, I assumed it was being saved up for a Finnish release. I was sure Radio Nova would play it, as it would fit well with the Anna Abreu and Katy Perry that they often play. But no, never have I heard Lady GaGa. So imagine my surprise to find that Poker Face is number 1! And Just Dance is a bit further down, around 14. So why on earth haven't I heard it anywhere (clubs, shops, radios...)?

Waldo's People; Currently charting in the top 5 is their eurovision attempt. So why are radio nova playing Kwan and not this? Its a shame, I like this song, and clearly the Finnish public do too. I'm thinking this will be the overall winner for the Finnish national selection. Although I'm still watching the final 'semi' tonight to support Signmark :)

Finally, in the charts there is also the likes of Britney Spears, Paramore, Kings of Leon, and Fall Out Boy. Never heard any of them on Nova either. Why not? Why play the same 20 songs everyday is they're not even the most popular 20 songs?! Gah. To they're credit though, they do play some 'oldies but goodies' and they have played the likes of Katy Perry, Pink and Brit Alesha Dixon (who has also charted here at 19 apparently).

Another thing though, while I'm having a rant. I wish they would have a 'playing now' feature on their website so I could find out the names of the songs and artists that I like. I can never follow the Finnish talking afterward to work out what the song was. If Rix fm can do it, why cant Nova?

1 comment:

Raquelita said...

I have no idea what's in the German charts.Apparantly there's some kind of Top of the Pops type thing on telly,but I never remember which day or which time or which channel,so I've never seen it.

Oh!How fitting- I've got some Wife Swap type programme on RTL and they're playing Viva la Vida in the background.Quelle surprise.

By the way,I'm 100% supporting Signmark now.Lose Control has nothing on Speakerbox.