August 20, 2008

Oh go on then...

So before coming to Finland I knew a little bit about the music scene, or at least thought I did. Of course most of the Finnish bands that succeed outside of Finland are rock and metal bands as this is what Finland do best. So, I will share with you some of my favourite Finnish songs from when I was more into rock.

Of course, I think Nightwish has to come first. Nemo was a huge hit in terms of metal-opera in the UK. I remember it being all over the rock-music channels at the time, and I really liked it. I've recently tried looking for some of their Finnish stuff, but it isnt as good, and with the new singer not being able to speak Finnish very well, I doubt they'll do any more. I actually read an article about the old nightwish singer in the Finnair flight magazine on my way here.





Next up should be HIM I think. This band were also pretty huge. In fact they were probably more successful if you consider the number of songs that did well here. Nemo was huge, but I dont know any other Nightwish songs, whereas I could name quite a few HIM songs. Funeral of Hearts was the first song of theirs I heard. Then of course Buried Alive By Love was also huge in the UK alternative scene. (All happy happy song as you can tell). But possible my favourite is Wings of a Butterfly, which was on the next album. I also want to mention their cover of Solitary Man, a Neil Diamond song. My mum is a huge Neil Diamond fan, and actually thought the HIM cover wasnt that bad! Ha! Anyway, this is Wings of a Butterfly;




Then, finally, the most popular Finnish song in the UK was possibly In The Shadows, by The Rasmus. I just remember liking it to start with and then it becoming rediculously over-played. Apparently they used to sing in Finnish, and then 'sold-out' and went into English. But i guess it worked - I just hope they kept the profits rather than spending them on the next album which turned out to be a bit of a flop.




Well that was a good way to waste time when I should be revising - Finnish test tomorrow, then move to Turku on friday - ah!

4 comments:

Raquelita said...

Really?The Rasmus sang in Finnish?I've never heard any of it- even their first album that they did when they were 15/16 I think,was in English.Was pretty rubbish though,might have been better in Finnish.Dead Letters was quite a good album but I think that was probably their peak- I didn't think much of their 'darker' stuff on the next album.Apparantly they're releasing another one this year (or they might have done already)- God knows what that'll be like,they might be in a brass band phase now.I quite like that about them though,that they try loads of different genres,although the pop-rock on the 3rd (I think) album was probably the best.

I liked Love Metal,well bits of it.Funeral of Hearts was alright but a bit boring,I prefered Buried Alive by Love coz it's quite fast in the chorus etc.That cover of Solitary Man is pretty good.Have you seen the one of Wicked Game as well?That's bloody good,much better than the original.

Keira said...

According to wiki, it appears all the released songs were in english, your right. I thought Taina said they started in Finnish, but maybe I'm getting them confused with another band. And yes, it also says the new albums due out in Sept.

I think I might have seen wicked game, but will have another look. I've been looking at a few videos on youtube and am surprised how many i've heard before and liked. Think i might invest in an album...

Raquelita said...

Ah if I'd have known before,you could have had mine- I have Love Metal and Razorblade Romance,although I only bought that one coz it had Wicked Game on it.Pretty silly logic really seeing as I already had it on some Kerrang CD or something.Then again,I've got everything Chelsi have ever done and I'd still buy their album!

Keira said...

I think thats why I never bought a HIM album, I seem to have all the singles from those Kerrang CDs. Maybe I'll find it in a bargin bucket here or something.