August 27, 2008

A Little Update

So as predicted, I dont have internet in my new flat, so welcome to Cybercafe - my new home :)

My more recent days in Truku have been more successful. I met my student tutor/mentor, Kirsi, who is lovely and we whizzed round yesturday and got the most important things done. It also gave me a chance to see the university (which is pretty huge) and more of the town, which is actually really nice. It actually feels bigger than Helsinki, which is strange. Maybe because we stayed pretty central in Helsinki - didnt really explore very much. I've already seen lots of shops here that I want to go in, whereas I didnt seem to find any decent shopping areas in Helsinki.


Anyway, I'm still waiting to meet more housemates and such, and so its still a bit lonely, but today was the start of orientation, and so I got to meet a few more people. Most people seem nice (a few expections) but I think that once I'm more settled I'll be quite happy here.


Also just a quick note about Tallin I guess. It was lovely. Had a really nice day. The weather was a bit iffy, but the old town is beautiful and we went on a couple of those tourist-bus type things and felt like I learned something about the culture and history. They have some really interesting monuments and sculptures. When I have internet back properly, then I will be able to upload a photo album (there's quite a few).

2 comments:

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Glad things are going a bit better for you now, I'm sure you'll meet a few interesting characters along the way.

Haven't been to Tallinn yet(Riga's been my only Baltic place so far) but it sounds good - looking forward to the photos.

Hope it's not too long till you get the internet sorted out, fingers crossed (or whatever that is in Finnish)

Keira said...

Thanks, I think its a maximum of 3weeks before I get the internet, but hopefully it'll be sorted before then!

Tried to upload my photos but everything seems to be against me at the minute - you could try viewing them through this link (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/turku.tales/Tallin?authkey=PA9Gt_fTTak)

I'll try again when I have a proper connection.