August 04, 2008

Minun nimi on Keira

I think thats right, although there is supposed to be an umlaut somewhere...
Edit: Actually, it was supposed to be in Genetive, my name is... not I name is... Already getting the basics wrong.

Anyway, today was the first day of the language course, although we didnt really do much learning. Introductions, tours, registering temporary residency so that we could get the travel card (otherwise it would cost me at least €4 a day) and after all that I didnt even have time to sign my tennancy agreement :/ Still, we did learn some Finnish, and its actually quite similar to German. Not in terms of Vocabulary but the sentance structure is very logical, so hopefully I will get the hang of it :)


Of course, I ended up seeing even more of Helsinki today. But lets start with yesterday. We met Stephany who will be organising social events for us while we're here. She showed us round the uni buildings so we knew where we were going this morning. She then took us to a cafe where we could relax and talk to each other. Was really nice, and there is such a mix of people all very friendly. Most of my flatmates are very nice too, I share with 4 other girls; 1 Turkish, 1 Lithuanian, 1 austrian and 1 Hungarian. So a mixed bunch. In the evening we then went to an Irish pub which is popular with the students we were told. Was a nice pub but a pint seems to be very expensive (€5+).


Anyway, then today we walked all over the place, I cant even remember! But the university building where we have most of our classes is right next to the famous landmark church (very easy to find, hehe). And we walked down the main shopping street this afternoon, and was relieved to find some familiar names (well, one mainly:H&M). I've been having some issues with my camera, so no photos yet I'm afraid.


Most sadly though, the park bench outside the church in the
Party 4Love video at the end doesnt actually exist! I feel cheated Jari...

2 comments:

Raquelita said...

Noooo!That's rubbish!Tut,I can't even look at the title of that song without getting it stuck in my head.
The umlaut's meant to be on the a isn't it?They love umlauted a's in Finland.
By the way,are they back from holiday yet?

Keira said...

Yeah, I think so. Its all rainy recently so they're probably confused and think its september already.
And yeah I think the umlauts on the A, but i dont know how to type umlauts on here. They also like to put i's on the end of words - polisi, salatti, juissi etc etc.