August 21, 2008

Film Review - London to Brighton

I actually watched this film last week, but I've been so busy I didnt have time to write a review. But I feel like I should. I heard a lot of good press when this film was around, and I'm always interested to watch British independent films, as they tend to be pretty gritty and realistic as opposed to the fake stuff we always get imported from the US. Not that there is anything wrong with hollywood, but you have to appreciate the difference.

So anyway, onto the film. London to Brighton starts with two girls (well one woman, one girl) in a public bathroom with running makeup and clearly shook up. It transpires that they are prostitutes running away from their pimp. The reason they are running becomes clearer as the story continues, and the whole picture isnt fully painted till near the end of the film.


I dont know why I liked this film so much, its pretty depressing subject matter - prostitution, child-runaways, gangsters, general criminal behaviour. But theres something in the character development and the relationship that forms between the two girls that make the film worth watching. If your not easily disturbed by these topics, I would recommend a viewing. The film is only 90minutes long, and well worth it I think.

1 comment:

Raquelita said...

Mmm,sounds a bit like Lilya 4Ever,did you ever get to see that?I really liked that but that's one of the most depressing films I've seen.