August 01, 2008

28 Hours Encounting!

Ah, my last day in rainy England (Ok, one shower in the last 5 days, but still). I've still got a ton of CDs left to upload, but perhaps I should pack properly first. It hasnt quite sunk in that I'm going tomorrow, and not coming back for a very long time. I'm thinking about Helsinki and not much after that, so feels more like a holiday. I thought to mark my last post in England for a while, I would mention some of the songs that I've heard since moving home for the summer that I quite like. Perhaps the British music scene is improving a little...

Kid Rock, All Summer Long - Every year you get a 'lets reminisce about summers past' song, and I fall for them every time. My favourite being Last Summer by Lostprophets, possibly because of timing if nothing else. Anyway, this ticks all the boxes for me this summer.


The Tings Tings, Thats Not My Name - Theres something quite catchy about this song, but I think I'll get sick of it as quickly as it grew on me. Despite the terrible 'The X X' band name formular, they are different to the bland regular Indie music that seems to have infected the British public and made them musically comatose, so I'll let them off.


The Script, The Man Who Cant Be Moved - This might be described as the bland Indie that I was just talking about, but its got more style than that, and the lyrics completely redeem it. I only heard this a couple of days ago but its very sweet tugs at the heartstrings.

Jordin Sparks ft Chris Brown, No Air - I heard this a lot at the start of the summer and I dont normally go for R'n'B type tracks, but I really liked the melody of this song. I heard a live version and decided I rather dislike the girl, but its a nice summer track

Usher, Movin' Mountains - Yes, more R'n'B, how strange. .But I've always liked Usher actually (another influence of my brother) and this track, although slightly overproduced, has good metaphorical lyrics.


Sara Bareilles, Love Song - I first heard this song on the way home from Guildford and heard it constantly while in Vienna (the fact we kept singing it didnt help) so will always remind me of that holiday and happy sunny times.

And thats my current summer soundtrack. I will no doubt make a whole new one by the end of next month. It'll be interesting to see what sort of music is being played around Helsinki. I hope to have internet at regular intervals - if not in halls then in the uni library, so there will be the odd update. I will definitely have a connection at my accommodation in Turku though, so will be back to boring you full-time by September (fingers crossed).

2 comments:

Raquelita said...

Aagh,I fucking hate The Ting Tings!I still can't forgive them for having such a ridiculous name and you know how I feel about "indie" girls :) Dunno if you remember that Yelle song we saw in France (Je Veux Te Voir),it reminds me a bit of that in places.
Love that Sara Bareilles one though,it seems to have been around for ages now and I'm not bored with it.
Never heard of The Script,but I just had a look at that song- some bits of it made me sad,think I need to go and watch some Vorobyov to cheer me up!

Keira said...

Aww, sorry, didnt mean to upset you. I'm sure thats just an excuse for more Vorobyov though ;)
And just re-listened to that Yelle song. They are a bit similar, same strong beat, with 'bleugr' (new word) vocals, but my god that French one is irritating after just 30 seconds. The Ting Tings one has more of a melody I guess.