August 08, 2008

An Introduction to Finnish Music

So while we've been learning Finnish, each day we separate off into small groups of just 7 to go over a few things. My small group is lead by Taina, who is lovely and everyday she plays us a Finnish song or two. So I thought I'd share some with you - for better or for worse!

First up, we have a band called Eppu Normaali, and the song is called Suomi-ilmiö (The Finnish Phenomenon). Its a band that we're popular in the 80s and the song is about nuclear power.





Next we have some Folk music. Its a band called Värttinä (which means Spindle I think) and the song is called Linnunmieli. I have no idea what its about, as Taina said its like an old dialect of Finnish and most people dont know it.






Next is a Finnish girl band, called PMMP, the initials of their names (like ABBA someone pointed out...). Anyway, I guess it sort of indie-rock, and the song is called Pikkuveli, which means little brother.






Finally today, we had some Finnish hip hop followed by a traditional Finnish hymn. Both two very different genres. Anyway, the Hip Hop song is by a band called Fintelligens, and the song is called Kaikki Peliin. No idea what that means, but it was the song for the
ice hockey world championship in 2003.





All I could think when listening to that was that the first line of the chorus sounds a bit like 'I want my mum'. Not exactly gansta, hehe. Finally the hymn was Sibelius, Finlandia-hymni; Its a patriotic song about the end of occupation and Finland's independence. "Your day is dawning, O land of birth".






Hopefully Taina will continue to intoduce us to what seems to be an actually quite varied music culture. I will write up more about my week on sunday, but tonight I am too busy, and tomorrow we are going to a museum again so will write it all up at the same time. Just had to do this before I forgot any of the songs. Moi Moi.

No comments: