August 02, 2008

Hellooo From Helsinki!

I actually have no idea how I've managed to get internet in my room - wayhay! It appears that they never clean the rooms, or at least dont look in the drawers - I found an ethernet (sp?) cable, and thought "lets plug it in and see", et voila!

Anyhoo, I arrived safe and sound. Making it to the airport was a little stressful, but made it in time for a quick fairwell drink with the family before heading through security. Not as bad as I had dreaded, although they did ask us to take off our shoes for scanning :/


Flight was good, no problems there - plenty of complimentary fluids, although I steered clear of the alcohol. Arrived and found my 'pick-up person' Jenni. She was very nice and didnt seem too annoyed that we missed the bus because I couldnt find my euros in time. So we waited for the next one at gone 10pm.


Managed to walk to the flat, and thankfully the building had a lift. I forgot to mention that I was spot on the 23kg weigh limit for my luggage! The scales kept flickering between 22.9-23. Had a few jumpers tucked in my hand luggage too, so that weighed a lot. Glad to settle in the new flat, which if a little grotty is a good size. Twice the size of my one in halls last year at Guildford. Also had a quick chat with the 2 girls already moved in. I have no idea how you write their names, but they're both from Turkey here to study IT for 6 months.


Not really got any first impressions of Finland. Jenni seemed really friendly, and the bus was clean and fast. Other than that it was really too dark to tell. The two Turkish girls think for a capital, its very quiet with hardly any people. Will get out and wonder around tomorrow to explore.

2 comments:

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Great to hear from you! Glad you arrived and got settled ok in Helsinki, looking forward to hearing all about your new life in Finland.

Keira said...

Thanks! I will update properly tomorrow, and hopefully have some pictures too :)