September 22, 2008

Turku Cathedral

Its only just gone 9, but already i'm thinking about heading to bed! But I will post part one of my great weekend. Hopefully I'll have it all typed up by this weekend because I'm off for a cottage weekend that the ESN (Erasmus student network) have organised for us foreign students. Should be a good chance to get to know a few more people and to get away from the city for a while.

Anyway, the start of our fabulous weekend was perhaps saturday morning. We had packed ourselves a picnic to have in Naantali, but decided to get up early and have a look round the cathedral first. I hadnt been inside since I arrived, but it is quite a striking cathedral and its surprising how you can catch glimpses of it all over the city. Its very old, I think one of the first churches in Finland, but has been rebuilt/repaired a few times due to the fires. Turku is the oldest settlement in Finland, but little of its origins remain due to the surprisingly frequent fires that have ripped through the town.




Anyhoo, as we arrived at the cathedral, we found a sort-of farmers market was taking place. So we had a quick look round, and I bought this little fella... He's just an old wine bottle cork dressed up with some knitted stuff. For only €1 I thought it was cute.






Anyway, we finally made it inside the cathedral, and it was rather lovely. I was surprised by how high the ceiling is. Not sure why, since it is clearly a tall church from the outside. Whenever I look in churches, it is always the o
rgans that I like best. And this cathedral had a beautiful organ. Other than that, there isnt much to say. It was nice is all.


We headed back outside, and bought a pancake from one of the stalls. The jam she offered looked a bit suspect (kinda brown-colour) but we tried it anyway, and it was rather tasty. After that we headed to Naantali... coming in part 2.

No comments: