September 25, 2008

I've Never Had So Much Fun At School

Just to let you all know, that I had a nice cuppa tea and calmed down a bit. Then I went out to get away from this stuffy little flat. At the university here they have set up little language circles to give people studying languages the chance to meet with native speakers. Whether that be in a pub, or bowling, or over dinner - whatever! So I joined last week, and kinda nominated myself as 'chief contact'.

Well tonight was the night we were set to meet again, and so I went along. We went to a famous pub in Turku/Finland called Koulu. In English Koulu means School, and this is an old Swedish-speaking school that has now been turned into a pub and brewry. Apparently one of the only pubs in Finland that brews its own beer. Its absolutly huge, which is good because there is at least 30+ people in the language circle.

Anyway, I spent the whole evening chatting with Chinese/Finnish/German/Americans... etc etc. And was really nice to trade stories about our different cultures and such. Made me forget my troubles, and realise that its not too late to start making friends. We already have plans for bowling a BBQ and a flat party. So things are looking up :)

No comments: