September 24, 2008

Finnish Charts

So on the radio at work they play the same songs everyday but I still dont catch the names of most of the Finnish ones, many of which have grown on me. So in an attempt to find out what thay are I've been typing the current top40 in Finland and the listed top20 of the radio station (Radio Nova) into youtube. This is what I have found;

My favourite one is a song called Unta by Katri Ylander. Apparently she came second in the second series of idols over here (the same show that launched Antti Tuisku's career). I'm so glad I've found it, I really do love it. I'm not sure why, but the melody of the vocals just really grows on you, and its definitely one of those songs that sound better in a foreign language. I dont know what Unta means, but I'm not going to translate it. I love it more not knowing. Its sounds so mystical and dramatic to me, but also a little bit sad;




Next up is a more upbeat song that always catches my attention when it comes on. Perhaps becuase its sounds quite modern amonst all the oldies stuff they seem to play on that station. The singer is called Anna Abreu and she was on the same series of idols as Katri Ylander, but didnt get as far. At first I thought she was singing 'you flow/swim through my dreams'. But the song is called Vinegar, and apparently the line is 'You're vinegar in my dreams'. Bit of a difference then...




Lastly, this song seems to be charting high, so thought I'd include it. Its quite a pretty song I guess. I didnt realise it was modern, it sounds more old-fashioned than the others. Hasnt won my heart quite as much as Unta, but it has a certain charm to it, and it has grown on me a fair amount. Its called Kaksi Puuta (two trees) by Juha Tapio;




No comments: