September 23, 2008

Naantali

My fabulous weekend part 2; Naantali.

Naantali is a popular summer destination for hundreds of Finns every year, possibly due to the fact that its home to Moominworld. However, while off-season, it is still a very pleasant town. The weather was a bit rubbish, but you could tell it would be a very picturesque town to while away the summer hours.

We started with a stroll down a tree-lined street towards the harbour. The trees have started to change colours and 'malt' for lack of a better word (what is the word?), which although happens in the UK too, it is somewhat prettier here. Maybe because of the pure amount of trees in the area, but you just cant avoid seeing all the colours change. So after a pleasant walk we made it to the convent church, which was unfortunately closed so we couldnt look inside, but it seemed quite nice. This is how the town was built. It was originally a catholic town, with the main town being built up around the convent. As Catholicism declined in popularity, the town switched to knitting socks for its main economy. (Yes, I took my lonely planet guide book with me).


After the church, I was keen to look for a good spot to have our picnic. So what better place to look from, than the look out point! From here we could see perfect views of the church and the harbour, but also of the aformentioned Moominworld, sat on a seperate island connected by a short footbridge. We soon climbed down to investigate.


We actually didnt explore the island very much, but instead headed for the beach to have our picnic. Was a lovely spot, and we ate the picnic practically undisturbed (other than by a pesky wasp). After eating, we headed back to the mainland a wondered along the harbour. We then had a quick look in some of the strangest souvenir shops, before heading to a cafe for a warm beverage. Taking a tip for a cafe from my travel guide, we ended up in what I can safely say is one of the strangest cafe's I have ever been in.

Apon walking in, we were met by only a cat. In the main lobby, there was a piano, and an exercise bike, and then to the right was the cafe, if thats what you'd call it. It appeared to be a large living room, with lots of old-fashioned furniture (and the curtain cloth matched the table-cloth as my freind pointed out). We had a look around, and apon still only seeing a cat, were beginning to wonder where everyone was... In the end, I found an old bell on the side, and rung it. Finally someone appeared and spoke in Finnish. Us:"Do you speak English?", Him:"Ei, Sprechen Sie Deutsch?" To which my German friend happily replied Ja! She was very happy to do the translating for us for a change, hehe.


Anyway, we nearly sat on another cat, before choosing another table. The first cat that greeted us clearly took a shine to us and wouldnt leave us alone. I miss my cat back home, so invited it up to my lap. It happily obliged. Much to my other friends distaste. After eating our cake and drinking our tea, we headed back into the cold and decided to head back home.

I can see why Naantali is such a popular summer destination, not just because of Moominworld. The old town is very well kept, and the area is very pretty. For peace, reflection and relaxation I think Ruissalo still tops my list (plus its free on my bus pass), but Naantali makes for a very nice day-trip.

No comments: