September 21, 2008

Happy Turku Päivä

Apologies for the lack of updates. This working 8-4 is kinda tiring till I get used to it. Plus, during the week there really wasnt anything to write about. But this weekend, two girls that I met in Helsinki came to visit. So, to make there rediculously expensive train tickets worth it, we rushed round and tried to get a million things done. This included, looking round the Catherdral, a trip to Naantali (the home of Moominworld), a trip to the Castle, a look around a boat, and then a spot of shopping in the Kauppatori (market square). Today was 'Turku Day'. I dont quite know what that means other than that we got into the castle half-price, onto the boat for free, there was a special market, the shops were open despite it being sunday, and to top it off in the evening there was what I can safely say was one of the best firework displays I have seen.

I decided to think of it as an early guy-fawks night, as obviously they wont be celebrating that here. I had a bad experience with a firework at a small show, so now only go to large well-organised displays as I get a bit scared. But this was on top of a hill somewhere, and I joined the crowds by the river to watch. It was spectacular. Some of the firworks were just huge, and the bangs echoced round the area, sounding like cannon's being fired. I did get a little scared when I saw some sparks landing on the river, but other than that I felt quite safe and so actually enjoyed it.

I will write up about each of the weekend's activitys seperately soon. Promise. I just wanted to post quick about the fireworks and then I'm off to bed!

No comments: