February 28, 2009

Tallinn & Riga; Day 2

So we woke up for what was a hearty breakfast before heading out into the cold for some last minute shopping. Tallinn has a popular street (St Catherines Walk I think its called) where you can buy lots of hand made things. There are also lots of stalls selling pretty much the same thing at the same price - knitted gloves, hats, socks etc. However each stall has slightly different designs and you could spend an hour looking up and down deciding on your favourite pattern. In the end I went for this pair...


After that we went on a hunt for a cheap Estonian flag. There were quite a few around, but at 95kr (about €7) I was sure we could find cheaper. In the end we found one in a liquor store for 50kr. Sucess. A quick sweep of the CD stores, and then it was back to hotel to check out and start our journey to Riga.

Along the way, we made a lunch stop in a lovely town called Perno. I only walked around for 30 minutes, but I managed to take 26 photos! Not a bad average. There were just so many interesting buildings, a strange mix of wooden and concrete.
a striking church had some interesting ice sculptures out front, which made for a nice photo I think...


But then it was back on the coach and on to Riga! It was dark by the time we arrived but some of us decided to go get our bearings before we all went out for lunch. We only made a quick circle round the hotel but managed to see the opera house, the freedom monument and the russian orthodox church.


After that we headed to what seemed to be the only option for Latvian cuisine, since its the only place anyone we asked could think of. Its was called Lido, and did good cheap food in a self-service style place. I just had chicken skewer and potatoes with salad. Then on to a bar. It was very cold, so we settled on one just 2 doors down from Lido! It was nice a cheap though, so we had a bottle of very cheap fizzy wine (think Labrusco) to share...

Then it was on to a club for the hard-core lot, but back to the hotel and bed for me. It was going to be a long day tomorrow.

2 comments:

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

I'm enjoying your tales from Tallinn and Riga and you're bringing back some nice memories for me. When we were in Riga last year we were just a few minutes' walk from the Opera House/Freedom Monument/Russian Orthodox cathedral. We could see the Freedom Monument from our room window. We didn't go to the famous Lido, but went to one of their pubs and I remember ordering a beer which came from Ventspils, just because I remembered that was where their Eurovision final takes place. :))

Keira said...

I'm glad its bringing back good memories. There are much more similarities coming up when I find the time to finish the diaries (eating in Il Patio, or whatever it was called, and a trip to Jurmala).
I wonder if we stayed in the same hotel? My window was facing the other direction though, so had a view of the train station and that soviet empire state building style building.