February 01, 2009

Finnish Esc Selection - The Final, Part 2

So yes, last night was the Finnish national selection for eurovision, and as I said already that Waldo's People got through, but I thought I would elaborate on the whole proceedings a bit more, since I was lucky enough to be able to watch it, whereas I know the rest of Europe were deprived somewhat. Still, there was plenty going on last night I believe...

So the show got started at 8pm. I was still on my way to a friends house to settle down and watch it, so we missed the first few performances. These however were the 'second chance' songs. Those that had not qualified from previous weeks. These included Riikka, Tiara, Passionworks, Sani, Vink and Janita. We caught the last 3 or so, and got to enjoy the interval act (Scandinavian Hunks - think a topless version of stomp) while the voting took place. The two acts that were then announced to be through to final were Passionworks and Vink. I was happy for Vink. I liked the song, but felt they were in the hardest of the three semi's, so this worked well for them.

So then onto the final.
  • We started with Kwan. The woman still hadnt improved and continued to sing out of tune. Not good.
  • This was followed by Jari. The judges seemed to think he was wonderful, but were not sure that the song is a good fit for eurovision. My friend pointed out it sounds like a christmas song/hym, and she could be right. Nice ballad, but no good for esc.
  • Then was the fabulous Signmark. Another good performance, with strong vocals from Osmo. You can't fault any of it really, just depends if the song can overcome the obvious genre barrier.
  • Next up was Tapani Kansa. Well, he managed to get through the whole song without starting again this time. Still, the song was just as boring. My friend kindly translated some of the lyrics. Sounded all a bit depressing and not eurovision at all. Like Peace Will Come, but without the positive vibe.
  • After that we have Waldo's People. I was 100% behind signmark until this came on. Its just so infectiously catchy. And tonights show took place on a bigger stage, so the performance is even more striking. Love the poi/fire juggling.
  • Then we have Remu. I really didnt understand how this qualified. I took the time to watch the video a few days before, and now see it as a quirky 'joke' entry. I found myself enjoying it with this new perspective. Still, I dont think Europe would get the joke.
  • Finally, we have Passionworks back again. The poor singer was suffering from larengitis, and so the vocals were somewhat raspy. However, the giant snowflake on her back did enough to distract from that. I do like the blokes vocals, but this is a typical metal song for Finland. Its time to try something new.
  • Then, last but certainly not least, was Vink. a good, cheesy pop-punk song. Perhaps a little 'middle-of-the-road' though.
So the votes are calculated to see which 3 acts will go through to the SuperFinal. I voted for Signmark... just.

The 3 acts that made it to the SuperFinal to are Signmark, Waldo's People, and Passionworks. That was a surpise. I didnt understand the point of the 'second chance' round as I didnt believe that a song that didnt qualify the first time would stand a chance in the final. I was clearly wrong. So each act performs again (the poor woman from passionworks for the third time tonight, you could feel her pain, really).

A break for the news while the votes are casted and calculated. I vote again for Signmark.

When we return, it is announced that in third place is Passionworks. Signmark and Waldo's People make their way to the stage. Teräsbetoni from last year present the envelope with the results. Along the bottom of the screen we are shown that the winning act received 45% of the votes, and the second placing act 42%. And Waldo's People were announced to be the winning act. They perform once more. Good luck to them. I think this was a very wise choice. I am sad for Signmark, but it was an exciting final, with a lot of great songs to choose from. Well done YLE.

No comments: