February 01, 2009

Finnish Esc Selection - The Final, Part 1

So I watched (almost) the whole thing last night, and the result was very pleasing :)



Yes, Waldo's People won. By quite a small margin. Signmark with Speakerbox was in a very close second. I love speakerbox and did vote for it, but looking at it from a eurovision perspective of what will do well, I think Lose Control ticks all the boxes. The rapping is a bit naff, but the chrous is so catchy, and that little drop-kick in the beat towards the end is just perfect. I think I'm happy with this choice, even if I'm a bit dissappointed for Signmark, but it would have been visa versa if Signmark had won and Waldo's People were second. Can't we send them both?

Oh, and after hearing the British choice today.... hmmm.... think I'll be adopting Finland as my eurovision home this year. I mean, its ok, but for a collaberation between supposedly britains best songwriter and a famous lyricist, I think it was fair to expect something more than just ok. Maybe they can work on it. Well, its the lyrics that bother me the most. Whats it all about. Generic and forgettable I'm afraid. Gotta give Jade credit though, she does sing it well.


3 comments:

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Absolutely agree!

When I heard that my two favourite songs - "Lose Control" and "Speakerbox" had made it through to the Finnish superfinal I was delighted. I think they made the right choice as "Lose Control" should pick up a few votes with its 90s Eurodance vibe, I only hope that it doesn't suffer the same fate as DJ Bobo's "Vampires Are Alive" from a couple of years ago.

We sat in front of the telly, eagerly waiting to hear "It's My Time" and the verdict at EuropeCrazy HQ was..."is that it?" Sounds like one of those X Factor winners songs. Enough said. Go Finland!

Keira said...

I know, I was rather disappointed by the UK song. I had almost started to become hopeful that we wouldnt be an embarrassment this year. I think we'll do better than normal, but just because of the ALW name-brand. Not for quality. I expected better from him.

But I'm proud of Finland's choice. They're starting to get a good reputation at esc. I hope they dont end up going the way of DJ Bobo. I think this song has more substance though, that one was all sound effects and naff costumes. I'll be interested to see how they scale up the performance.

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Looks like Waldo's People have a pretty good stage act and I think this will translate well to the big stage in Moscow, also I was impressed with their vocals in the final - very professional. It's in with a good chance I reckon.