October 01, 2008

Finlands National Finals

So the 12 competitors to represent Finland at Eurovision this year have been announced. Most of them I havent heard of, so decided to do a little research on those that looked interesting. Here are my thoughts to the main contenders.

Waldos People
I had heard of this band before but couldn't remember any of their stuff. Now i realise why. The only way I can describe it is Cheesy Electro Rock. A very strange mix, that doesn't really do it for me I'm afraid. Although they have the potential to make a very catchy eurovision song actually, so maybe one to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afyNN4xSSZg

Vink
A new rock group with a poppy-rock style. I quite like it actually, but I don't think its right for eurovision. Think the semi's will be good exposure for them though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grYpwwEJ75g

Riikka
Used to be part of a folk group that I've mentioned on here before. Her current stuff on myspace seems more contemporary and chilled-out but still keeps a traditional Finnish vibe to it. Pleasant but easily forgettable in the grand scheme of esc.
http://www.myspace.com/riikkatoarie

Signmark
I think this is an innovative idea and the kind of thing that is perfect for eurovision in terms of vision. This is a hip-hop group formed of three members; a dj, an mc, and a signer (sign language). Its a way of showing that deaf people can make and enjoy music and trying to remove stigma's and bring more awareness of deaf issues to society I guess.
All in all though, it is hip-hop, which never does well at esc, so we'll see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKXlTXQCN0

Tiara
Singing a kind of mature power-pop, she actually seems like the kind of singer they would like back home (if she were singing in English of course). With the right song she could do very well at esc I think. Then again, what do I know?
http://www.myspace.com/tiaranmusiikki

Jari Sillanpää
But of course the main contender is Jari. I keep seeing his face everywhere I go! He was playing here in Turku a few weeks ago, and when I went to Naantali (not the biggest town) I saw his face on a poster on what I'm guessing was the town hall or something. So he gets about a bit. Think whatever he enters will get people ringing up to vote.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TkkphTOVWE

2 comments:

Raquelita said...

Oh God,it's Anonymous but with better accents!Can't say I'm too fussed about any of them (except Jari),but they're all a hell of a lot better than normal Finnish efforts.I reckon Waldo's People have the best chance though- I'm supporting Jari of course but I don't think they'll give him another chance :( You say he's everywhere in Finland,does this mean he's the Finnish overlord?If so,I'm moving there now :)

Keira said...

I guess it does kinda make him the Finnish overlord. And he's not even Finnish (just like Filip isn't even Russian).
Think I'm supporting Tiara actually. I've had her myspace playing in the backround and I quite like her style. Guess its been fone with Hanna Pakarinen though. I agree that Waldo's People have the best chance though.