October 21, 2008

Oops

I was planning on writing a little post on my sift throught some of the Turku second-hand shops, including a list of my fabulous purchases. One of which was a lovely little coffee-pot, but I've already managed to blow it up, I can smell it burning now...

Anyone that knows me, knows that I am somewhat of a negligent cook, often getting distracted and forgetting that I left food cooking, returning to find the kitchen on fire 30mins later (not an exaggeration, this has happened). So is it really any surprise that while in Finland I've already ruined a good saucepan (rented from the university, so will need to be replaced), and now this little tea-pot kettle thing. Terrible shame. Although the impressive thing is I was right there when it blew up this time. Was just my stupidity not lack of attention that did caused it.


Anyway, as for my shopping trip, I decided to investigate some of the Indian import shops that I was told about on the north east side of town. People were right, there are a lot of things in here you can get cheaper than the supermarket (once you work out what they are of course). What I liked though, was some of the familiar products - I found PG Tips, Birds Eye Custard powder (custard is very much a foreign concept abroad I have learnt), corned beef, beef burgers (which had to be purchased in 1kg bags) and condensed milk! First bacon, now custard - whatever next!

2 comments:

Raquelita said...

No way,you got the custard! That's madness...We have a Persian shop just down the road from the bank where I buy my coke when I don't have apple juice.Think it's all Middle Eastern stuff there though- nothing familiar :(

Keira said...

Well I dont know what this one was with the custard actually. The first one was called something like Bombay Import Oy, and the second was just Allans Store, hehe. But I didnt read the third one. It was a big shop, but not a lot in it, run by indians though. But it was the one with the custard and the pg tips (and lots of hair products :/)