October 13, 2008

Rasmus Gig Review

I was running a tad late for the gig on saturday after having woken up late and getting sucked into the sales at the department store in town. Anyway, I finally made it, and it was just great. Finnish crowds are pretty different to those back home at London gigs. For starters, despite turning up over 30mins late, I still got a spot right down the front. And not only was I down the front, but I has plenty of room to move around/dance, and it wasnt ridiculously hot. In a lot of ways it didnt feel like a proper gig, particularly when everyone sat down between the support act and the band.

Talking of the support act, they were actually really good. I quite enjoyed their set. They played for nearly an hour, and I think there
was only one song that I didnt like. They are called Von Hertzen Bothers, and its sort of synth rock I guess. You can check out their myspace page here. After the gig I managed to get the singer, Mikko, to sign my ticket :) It seems everyone knows Keira Knightly here too, so glad she spells her name the same way.


Anyway, after they finished the Rasmus came on. They started with Living In A World Without You, which was really good live. After that they went straight into FFF-Falling. So was glad to hear they were going to be playing some of their older songs too. And that they did, as well as playing tracks from the new album, they played, Guilty, No Fear, First Day of My Life, Chill and Sail Away (which was done as a duet with Mikko Von Hertzen coming back on stage).


Some of the new tracks that I has heard and werent overly impressed by have gone up in my estimation since hearing them live. For example, I didnt like the title track 10 Black Roses much, but its very good live. However, my favourite of the new songs is called Justify. Despite the intro reminding me of The Cure's 'Lullaby', the lyrics are what appeal to me most about it. Ghost of Love is also worth a listen.


They did some odd songs as well, such as Ghost Busters, and another song in Finnish, that had something to do with a moon... It took me a while to realise he was singing in Finnsih, but the guitarist held up a big ball of styrophone and said something about Kuu. Make of that what you will...

Finally for an encore they did In The Shadows.



Was a great night. And no worrys about rushing for the last train home. Just casually strolled round to the student village where I stole some posters off a notice board, and then caught a bus back to the Kauppatori where I had time for a cheeseburger before the next night bus home :)

2 comments:

Raquelita said...

Tut.Cheeseburgers,bacon sandwiches...it's not fair!Actually I have a chip shop opposite so could probably get a cheeseburger if I wanted :)

I've been listening to Justify and 10 Black Roses a lot since,erm,yesterday- I can imagine they're really good live.I love the lyrics too,it's nice to see they still write stuff that I 'get' 5 years later.

Love the picture of Lauri and Mikko by the way :)

Keira said...

Yeah, thats my favourite of the night, and not just because its the clearest!

As for the food situation - you have burger king! So not fair.