June 29, 2008

Forgotten Gems; Part 3

Ah, back to uploading all my CDs. There's been piles of CDs all over the living room, and my mum (and even my brother) started moaning, so I've got back down to business. Here's some more forgotten gems, that I've since rediscovered.

First up is Christina Aguilera, with her power pop album Stripped. Just read that it was released in 2002, that was just before my rocker-phase, makes me feel old, how fast trends come and go. The album contains 16 full tracks, but never becomes samey. My favourite of all the singles released from it is Fighter;




Next up is Placebo. What can I say about Placebo? They're fantastic. Quality rock music, funky beats, cryptic lyrics, strange lead vocalist etc etc. Sounds like a typical formular, but they pull it off and make it seem fresh and original, because it is for them. I highly recommend the singles album Once More With Feeling (released before the latest album) that has all the singles (funnily enough) and you can hear the journey of the band from the early days (1996) to the more recent stuff. This is one of the early day ones (video features the old drummer) and is called Teenage Angst;




Just to continue about them for a moment. I liked them so much that once upon a time I stood (or more likely sat) outside Virgin Megastores in oxford street for 2 hours at 7am in the cold depths of February to get a wristband to a gig and signing for just 200 lucky few. The gig was fantastic, and I got a signed album out of it, along with a chat with the drummer (who is lovely, very cool guy).
Another piece of trivia, Dima Koldun's video to A Dlya Tebya is a quite obvious copy of the video for Pure Morning by Placebo. I thought it was a strange band to pay tribute to, maybe Dima's a fan?


Back to the videos. Next up we have a track by Bloc Party. Their first album was a real favourite of mine when it first came out. I remembered having it on in the car for weeks driving back and forth to work, while on my gap year. On the re-release of the album was a song called 2 More Years which really struck a cord with me in terms of lyrics, so without explaining that any further I'll just post the video.




Next up is a singer-songwriter called Get Cape Wear Cape Fly. Real name Sam Duckworth from Southend. He spent years touring with just his guitar and a laptop. I love the track Call Me Ishmael, but for some reason there is no evidence of the official video on youtube, in fact most of his videos seem to be absent from youtube. So instead I have decided to post War of the Worlds, possibly his most well-known track (and possibly the reason its one of the only ones on youtube);


No comments: