March 08, 2009

Tallinn & Riga; Day 4

We were leaving at 2pm in order to make it to Tallinn in time for the last ferry back to Finland. And we had to check out by noon. So we decided just to check out after breakfast and take our stuff to the bus early. We had been told that you could go to the 26th floor of a near-by hotel to get a good (free) view of the old town. This hotel was also close to the Art Nevo area where there were interesting buildings to be discovered. So that was the plan for our final morning in Riga. The hotel was indeed worthwhile. Although we made it to the 26th floor only to discover that the bar area was closed :( But there was one more floor... A gym! Also with a lovely view. Even if it wasnt the place for tourists, we snuck in and had a peak. I tell you, if all gyms had that view from the running machines, I might go more often.


So then it was down in the panoramic lifts (where my ears popped!) and then onto the Art Nevo area of the city. There were indeed lots of interesting buildings to be seen, and photographed. But it seemed quite a bit colder than the day before, so after a while wondering around, some of us decided to head to a cafe in the old town rather than keep walking around However there was some last-minute tourist tat to be bought by me (another flag, along with an amber hedgehog).


But then sadly that was all we had time for really. It was back onto the coach, to take us back to Tallinn where we had enough time for some food (Hessburger again). I forgot to mention the very musical choice of films we had on the coach this time. On the way to Riga, we experienced Mamma Mia and Grease. On the way back we had Sex & the City, and then Catch Me if You Can. Not so musical, but still... There was talk of Mamma Mia karaoke on the way from Helsinki to Turku, but we were all too tired by that point.

Overall a really really great trip. The fact we were such a small group was nice, and the whole thing is general was pretty laid-back and enjoyable. I didn't really fall in love with Riga, but I'm glad I have seen it and experienced it, as it was quite different to, well Finland at least. But Tallinn and Estonia in general has won my heart this time I think. I will definitely be heading there again before my final return to England. I would say, if planning a trip from the UK, Tallinn is maybe a bit small to go that distance for, but I would highly recommend it as a day-trip from Helsinki. And Helsinki is of course worth the trip from the UK, so my advice would be to combine the two in one holiday :) You won't regret it.

No comments: