March 08, 2009

Lapland Highlights

I realise I never did any proper travel-diaries for Lapland, and to be quite honest I don't think I ever will. It wasn't really a sight-seeing trip after all, and most of the days were spent skiing or such. However I will do a quick review of some highlights, just for the sake of sharing photos at least...

* On the way we stopped in Rovaniemi, at the Santa Claus village on the border of the Arctic Circle.


* Met Santa Claus! He was very lovely as expected. Told us to look out for the reindeer up in Levi, although Rudolf was away in Australia getting a bit of sun and relaxation after the busy Christmas period.
*Crossed the Artic Circle.


* Made it to Levi, Finlands biggest ski resort.
* First day involved the ski school and then a bit of skiing with the ESN girls on the nice easy blue slopes :]

* Second day was a bit of shopping in the morning
* Then the ultimate highlight of the trip - husky dog safari!!! It was just the most amazing experience. Highly highly recommend it.


* Next day was more skiing. Just very relaxed, although went with some more experienced skiiers, and did get quite a bit higher up the mountain than intended. But once you're up there, you have no choice but to ski down again! And it was bloody freezing, so you didnt hang about (-25 at the bottom of the mountain, but naturally colder at the top with the winds).


* Then back again before a final bit of shopping and then sauna. Which of course involved some rolling around in the snow :)
* Then it was time to pack up and get back home again. A painfully long journey, with film after film after film. I mean, I'm a fan of movies, but I was on the edge of a nervous breakdown after the 5th one.

* Oh, and we saw the Lordi bar during our dinner stop in Rovaniemi

* After which we carried on to Kemi snow castle, which alth
ough mostly closed as it was a sunday, the bits that were open were cool. Literally.



Although I may not have done much as such, the whole experience was worthwhile. I have never been somewhere like that in conditions like that. It was a bit of a shock at first, and for the girl who doesnt feel the cold, I was a bit underprepared and was very very glad of my rented ski clothes! I didn't see a single reindeer all week either. Or the northern lights. So was a bit dissapointing in some respects. But I will never forget the feeling I had when I woke up on the way there to see nothing but all ecompassing white. So much snow and ice. The ground, the trees, just everything white. Incredible.

2 comments:

drei said...

good to find great stories about finland and turku specifically. i might move to turku in january next year for an erasmus mundus program, and i'm hoping to have a great time like you're having now. :)

cheers,
andrei_martin@yahoo.com

Keira said...

Hey Andrei,

Thats great that I've given you an idea of what an erasmus student in Turku gets up to. I would say this is a really great place to spend a semester. Everything is really well organised, and there are hundreds of other exchange students around from the 3 main different universitys here, so your never alone.

And Finland, especially Turku, is a really beautiful place. I'm sure you would love it!