March 06, 2009

Tallinn & Riga; Day 3

So we awoke after a slight lie-in (by my standards anyway) as the tour guide would be meeting us to show us around the old town. It was a bit chilly to say the least (I normally don't feel the cold, but after 4 days of sightseeing it had started to get to me). So we kept a brisk pace. We started again by going past the opera house and along to the freedom monument. It all looked quite different in the daylight. Especially the river, which looked beautiful in the snow.


We then followed the guide along to the remaining part of the old town walls. After that all I can remember is lots of interesting buildings, mostly churches. Some stand out in my memory (the three brothers, the main dom square, the blackcats house (something like that) and the black magic cafe :] ), but managing to fit everything into a 2-hour walking tour meant we only spent a few minutes at each. In all that time I don't think the tour guide stopped talking, and she had so many interesting tid-bits about each place, but it was just too much to take in.


After that it was a short break for lunch before an optional excursion to Jurmala. When it was explained that our coach would be able to take us to a famous beach near-by, I thought they were insane - going to the beach in the middle of February! However, my feet were so sore and cold, that the idea of sitting on a coach for 20minutes seemed more appealing than forcing myself to walk around the old town again. I have to say, it was a good decision. It was truly one of the most beautiful scenes I have seen. Just miles and miles of snow-covered beach. Blue sky above, blue sea to the side and snow covered beach (reflecting some of the blue). We just joined the surprisingly large stream of people going for a leisurely stroll along the beach.


On the way back, we would travel over the large cable-bridge, but decided to stop and take a few pictures of the Riga skyline before crossing the river. The lighting was perfect, and it was a very nice view.


After that it was time for a quick bit of shopping before heading back to the hotel to warm up. I found a good Cd shop in the train station right by our hotel, which had a sufficient Russian section. I purchased Dima Bilans newest and second albums (the one with Ty Dolzhna), Ani Loraks album (pre-Shady Lady), Sergey Lazarevs' TV Show, and Chelsi's album for Rachel. I think that was quite enough for one trip. So back to the hotel where I then hid under the covers in bed waiting for the feeling in my legs to return.

In the evening, we headed off in search of food. Deciding Latvian food wasn't all that inspired, we settled on an Italien resturant in a basement in the old town. It was a nice little place, and was playing Tiziano Ferro's album during our meal, so that made me happy. I decided to try their Ceasur Pizza, just because it sounded so bizzare. Not tomatoe sauce, but just the ingredients to a usual ceasur salad as toppins - including a bi
g dollop of lettuce in the middle. It all went a bit wrong when we asked to pay seperately though (there were 14 of us). The waiter told us it wasnt possible, and chaos then ensued. Some paid by card, some by cash, the wine had to be split, much change was involed, and headaches all around. Thankfully we had a few Russian-speakers with us, who could communicate with the waiter better than we could in English.

After that fiasco, we were in need of a stiff drink. And where better than the Black Magic Cafe just down the road, where we were all to try the tradit
ional Balzam. Our ESN leader had continuously told us how hideous it was, and yet everyone, including herself, then went on to have a shot. Well, actually I was a chicken maybe and went for one of the cocktails, which was actually very tasty. I did have a sip of the straight shot too though, and can't say I made a bad decision.


After that we headed to a karaoke bar, where the boys performed the YMCA (dance routine and all) and us girls got up to sing Material World. Foolishly we didn't film the boys, but later found out that there is a video floating around facebook of us girls... Anyway, after that we were in the mood for a boogie, and ended up in Essential, Riga's largest club. I can see why Riga is a popular stag-night destination, they have clearly catered to their new-found tourists. although there were not so many Britsih accents around. I'm guessing Februray is not wedding season. Anyway, the place was huge, with a labrynth of rooms with different styles of music. I even heard Lazerboy and the Russain version of Lady Flame (don't make me attempt to spell it, you know the one I mean).

A quick group photo by the fountain on the way back to the hotel, and then bed!

No comments: