November 16, 2008

Observations

That was a bit of a mammoth post wasnt it? I really should update more often. Thought I better put todays activity as a separate post as it will mostly be pictures. I actually took nearly 100 photos within an hour. Which is shocking, since I'm not normally a snap-happy sort. Although I admit to becoming a bit snap happy since i've been here. I'm constantly taking photos on the way to/from work of the sunrise/set.

Anyway, today when I woke up it actually seemed quite bright outside, so suddenly had ideas of going to look at St Michaels Church on the other side of town, and also finally to go and have a look at the observatory. This is a beautiful white building that sits apon a hill, and which you can see from all over Turku. As I went to catch the bus into town, it seemed it was a lot colder than anticipated, and on the way into town it looked as though it was trying to snow. So I decided to just head for the observatory.

This is in part of Turku that is now the handicrafts museum, and the only remaining areas of old Turku saved from the major fire. Its also set in a beasutiful park, so the whole area is very beautiful. First you have the handicrafts museum...



And then I discovered a Summer Theatre, with some nice views...



The best views of the city were to be found in front of the observatory...




Then of course there was the observatory itself...




Oh, and I even got a glimspe of the church I was initially planning to visit...


And then I headed home.
I think this is my favourite area of Turku. Not including Ruissalo. I imagine in the summer it would truely beautiful, although the trees would block some of the views, so there is beauty in all seasons I guess.

No comments: