November 24, 2008

Thanks Postergirl!

Before I get into the proper diary-type posts from Stockholm, I just want to post a quick one about my Cd shopping experience.

Postergirl recently wrote a guide to Cd shopping in Stockholm, which I read at the time, and came back to thursday just before setting off for Stockholm, noting down the best of her suggestions. As it turned out, my hostel was on St Eriksgatan, the same street as two of her suggestions. So after checking in, I headed off to do some serious bargain hunting. I was not disappointed.


I went in Record Hunter first (as it was the first one I came to) and decided this would suit me very well, but decided to check out the other shop just a few shops down the street. I didnt take to this shop so went back to record hunter.


In the basement they have many new and used CDs, with the Swedish artists separated out. Most of these were then in a buy 4 for the price of 3 offer (although when I ask the cashier if I was right in thinking that is what the Swedish meant, he jokingly said 'no no, it means these are double the price' - haha, very funny).


So anyway, I managed to find 4 Cds that I wanted - Måns Zelmerlöw, Stand By For... (been waiting for so long to get it), BWO, Prototype (the only BWO Cd they had in the basement), Danny, Heartbeats, and September (her self-titled debut). I also found Sara Bareilles tucked in next to BWO and decided for an extra 50kr it would be worth getting 5 for the price of 4.


Only disappointment was not finding E.M.D's album, which was quite high on my wish list. I found it upstairs for 129kr, but thought I only had another 75kr and therefore not enough even if I put one of the 50kr CDs back.


So I go to the cashier; 'Was there anything in particular you were looking for but didnt find, because we have lots more out back that we just dont have shelf-space for'. I explained that I wanted E.M.D's album, and found it here, but didnt have enough kroner on me. After a bit of bargaining, and finding another 20kr tucked in my purse, they let me have it for just 95kr!


So I walked away with 6 Cds for 295kr, and was a very happy girl. As it turned out, I didnt have time to do any shopping at all the next day, so was so glad to get everything I wanted in one shop!


Surprisingly I didnt find any Charlotte Perrelli, Sanna Neilsen or The Ark in the basement, but I found the ones I really really wanted and a few extra. I havent got round to listening to them all yet, but what I've heard so far makes me very happy :)


So in summary, if you only have a limited amount of time, and happen to be in the area, definitely check out Record Hunter at St Eriksgatan 70 for your cheap Swedish Cd needs.

4 comments:

Poster Girl said...

Aww, I'm glad I could help! I'm glad you're feeling better, too--talk about not how you want to finish off a weekend trip.

Keira said...

I know! Seriously bad luck. And a 10 hour ferry ride is really not the place to get food poisoning. Oh well, at least it was the end of the trip and not the beginning!

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Meant to post a comment earlier about this. I also enjoyed what Poster Girl had to say, unfortunately I didn't wander as far as St Eriksgatan whilst in Stockholm last year, I ended up buying from oh-so-trendy Bengans and the more traditional Ahlens.

If (hopefully when) I return to Stockholm I'll need to broaden my record-buying horizons...

Keira said...

I thought I would have had to go for Ahlens or something, as looking on the map I didnt think we would be going as far out of the centre as this. I was so happy to read the street sign of our hostel :)