May 13, 2009

Eurovision 2009; Semi-Final 1

So, I guess its about time I put in my 2 cents from last nights semi. I wasn't at all excited a couple of days ago, and even last night I still wasn't that bothered. But today I've managed to have fairly long conversations with my colleague about it. So apparently I've been sucked in...

So here are my general thoughts, written down earlier this morning while waiting for the rest of my antibody purification fractions to elute ;)

  • Missed most of the opening, but it seemed nice enough
  • Presenters were talked over by the Finnish commentators for the most part, but it seems I didn't miss much. Although I would have liked to hear more from the lovely lad in the green room, haha.
  • I liked the postcards. It was a strange but original idea I guess. Oh, I should mention I also love the general logo this year.
  • And I liked the one-word Russian lessons - although why were they in the Latin alphabet?
  • The interval act was actually pretty good. Brought back memories of the Russian Winter Festival back in London 2008 :) Oh, and the pink tank side of stage was fabulous!
  • As for the songs, my favourites going into the show were; Iceland, Finland, Sweden and Romania (in order). Was hoping to hear a few more nice surprises, since I haven't listened to most of the songs beforehand this year. Can't say I was blown away by any of them though.
  • I text Rach after the performances with my predictions (a mix of ones I wanted to go through, and the ones I wanted since I couldn't be bothered to write out 2 lists. Consequently it ended up as 11 rather than 10). Anyway, this is it: Belarus, Sweden, Andorra, Switzerland, Turkey, Israel, Iceland, FYR Macedonia, Romania, Finland & Malta.
  • I was disappointed that Switzerland didnt get through, but it was always going to be one of those songs that either did really well or crashed and burned.
  • Thought Finland was one of those songs as well, so was glad to see it has qualified. The Finnish commentator was also pretty happy, especially since Sweden was announced first.
  • Talking of Sweden, wasn't much impressed with it. I mean, the vocals were much better than expected given the rehearsals. However I felt the staging was all wrong, the lighting was bad, and the back singers were waaaay too loud. Just goes to show that what works at MF doesn't always work at ESC.
And thats about all I had time for before my fractions were done. But I think it pretty much sums it up. Am looking ahead to the next semi, and am really starting to look forward to the final. Just have to find somewhere to watch it. Hoping there will be a bar somewhere that I can go to. Especially now Finland is through :)

4 comments:

Raquelita said...

Well,I take it the Russian words were in the Latin alphabet because most people outside of Russia can't read Cyrillic...I thought some were transliterated oddly though,which is why I hate Latinised Russian- there's too many options.

Did you see the interval act tonight?I caught bits of it,but that looked very RWF to me- some of the dancers costumes were exactly the same as the ones you took pictures of :)

Yeah we never talked about your list- did you actually like Belarus or did you just think it'd go through?You won tonight by the way- 7 against 6.

Keira said...

For Belarus, it was half and half. I didn't think it was that bad. So I thought they might be lucky again. The commentators mentioned about Dima Koldun just before he came on, which made me smile.

As for the interval act, I did watch most of it. Thought it was ok. Bit boring at the start, but then when the red-dress girls came and they did all that stuff in the circles, from then on I really liked it. Looking forward to what they come up with for saturday.

And, as for the Cyrillic, I can understand why they went for Latin I guess, but I think maybe they should have done both... Oh, did you notice Shaste last night? (Can't remember how they spelt it)

Raquelita said...

Shastyeeeeeee yeah yeah yeah! I missed most of Thursday's somehow.Oh,isn't Dima the interval act tonight?I know he's doing Believe and Lady at some point,but I haven't heard about anything else that's happening.

Is this a good time to admit that I'm quite liking the Russian song and that Prihodka doesn't seem quite so annoying anymore? :/ It really is a bad year!

Keira said...

Well, after Ukraine, it doesn't seem so bad. I guess its ok actually, its just no Bis :(

I read some stuff about the interval act on schlagerboys. They were comparing it to Tingaling, hehe. And yeah, will be good to see Dima seriously milking the opportunity for all its worth.