May 25, 2008

What A Great Final


I have to say, last nights show was fabulous. I think having the semi's did mean that most of the rubbish was whittled out before the final, which left us with some really strong performances. Of course it was missing a few (Switzerland, Andorra, Belarus) but Iceland were there and boy were they good. Me and Rach were up and dancing round the living room :) Very happy for them, they put in a very good performance, and an overall placing of 14th means they can head back to Iceland with their heads held high.

Then of course the winner, Russia! So Dima Bilan did it, I think we all knew he would really. I am a fan, and was happy to see him win (especially if Greece and Turkey were the other choices). After watching his performance, I knew I'd have to kiss goodbye to that £5 I put on Ukraine, he was on top form. I loved the song from the moment I heard it before the Russian selection, and do love his voice. His performance was spot on, and I found myself wanting him to win from that moment too, despite my allegiance to the Icelandic entry. I would like to think this would give his international career a boost, but dont think it will have much effect over here (also given that we didnt give Russia a single point, a bit like Belarus last year). Still, a heartfelt congratulations from me.



Other pleasing results included Bosnia & Herzegovina, Israel, Norway (didnt even like that song till last night), and Azerbaijan. Surprisingly, Sweden failed to make an impact and was revealed as the Jury's wildcard from the second semi's. Could it be Sweden need to re-think Melodifestivalen? Was quite disappointed for Finland too, I preferred their song to Turkeys (bit too grungy for me). Also, just to add that Andy and the UK did not deserve such a low placing. He put in a vocally strong performance, and the song is alright. Although I guess it wasnt too memorable and given its early position in the running order, was always going to struggle.

Overall a good night. And now, the excitement starts for Moscow 2009! Maxim Galkin to present pretty please... Oh, and Chelsi to represent Russia - Drobysh are you listening???!

2 comments:

Raquelita said...

He never listens.He didn't send them to the Russian Winter Festival,it looks like he forgot to send them to Germany...Hopefully Rossija will get their way and get to show ESC next year too,then Maxim will probably present it.Anyone but bloody Yana Churikova...

Keira said...

I hope so, now i've got it in my head that Maxim is presenting, I'll be really disappointed with anyone else.
I read that t.A.T.u are doing shows in Germany now, so maybe they stole the last seat on the plane...