May 23, 2008

Iceland got through!


So last night was the second semi-final for Eurovision, and contained 5 of my 7 favourites (Iceland, Belarus, Sweden, Ukraine, and Switzerland). We
supported Belarus non-stop last year, and were so happy with Dima's final position in 6th, and had hoped that Ruslan would continue a trend for Belarus. The song and performance changed a lot since the national selections, but I think for the better, and was so pleased with it last night... until it failed to qualify! Poor Ruslan. Then of course, Switzerland also got left on the side-lines once again. Such a great song! So ok, the vocals were a little off in places, but that smile was enough to make every woman melt - so why didnt they pick up the phone!

Oh well, there's always a few that don't get through. But I'm so happy that Iceland made it through. When I first heard it, I liked it, but it wasnt till we started promoting it on the radio that I became totally addicted to this song. Seeing them in London was fantastic, and they are vocally very good. I was just worried that being first on in a string of strong performances would see them fall by the wayside. Thankfully not, and they have a well-deserved place in the final :)

Then of course I'm happy for Ukraine and Sweden. I think Charlotte's performance lacked a little something, but the vocals were good. I think Ukraine is the main competition for Dima Bilan and his ice army though. I've started to except the eventuality of Dima winning it though, and I can stomach it a lot better without the ladder. I do still like the song - and the singer.

No comments: