July 04, 2009

Reflective Blog

So, as I mentioned, I had my last day at work this week. It was sad to say goodbye to Saara and Joanna who have been great supervisors, although mentor would probably be a better word. They have taught me so much scientifically and culturally. I dont often talk about the science side of things here, but that was the intially point of my year abroad. It was a PTY (placement training year) which could have just as easily been in the UK, but instead was abroad and as such, all the cultural stuff I was learning and experiencing kind of overshadowed my scienitifc achievements for the year. Obviously the seminar was a huge milestone, but actually, my confidence in my abilties has really improved. After doing badly in my A-levels, I came to university with the aim of just getting on with it, seeing how I did and then getting a job. But now I have renewed enthusiasum to achieve a 2:1 (something people kept telling me I could get if I just worked a little harder, but I didnt believe them. Now I do). And I am also now considering the option of doing a postgraduate course. Perhaps a research masters, so as to be doing something similar to what I was doing this year. Who knows, we'll have to see. But either way, I don't see this as a sad ending, but rather a new beginning. A new chapter is starting, one that could lead me anywhere, and that is exciting. I feel like there are more oppertunities to be had out there. The world is my oyster! haha.

Aaaaanyway. The traditional exchanging of gifts took place. I tried to think of something more meaningful than chocolate, so bought a pot plant for each Joanna and Saara to have at their desks and brighten up the place. I think they liked them. As for me, they bought me something really nice. All year I had been considering buying myself a Moomin mug, as it is the most typical Finnish souvenir. However, Moomins are very popular here, and so anything to do with them is expensive. And the Moomin mugs are made by the popular Finnish ceramics company Arabia, making them even more expensive. But that is exactly what I got as a present and it couldnt be more perfect. Look...





All wrapped up pretty with some Marimekko napkins. I've decided the Marimekko store in Turku is dangerous. They had a sale this week, and I ended up buying a cute notepad that I probably won't use. But still... Oh, and as for a report update, I've passed the 3000 word mark now, and so might treat myself to that bag anyway :)


2 comments:

M said...

Ah! I have the same mug. She's called Niiskuneiti, she's Moomintroll's (Muumipeikko) girlfriend, sort of. You know, you should also buy yourself a moomin dvd, you'd learn some finnish!

Mary said...

Love the mug, had to get one for myself.
Found many others too!
They all look fun.