July 11, 2009

Week one of the mammoth trip

So I've returned from a very busy few days in Stockholm. We seems to do quite a lot, which obviously makes for a lot of walking, and my feet were so sore! After my mum arrived and we'd checked into the hotel, we went for a tourist-type boat trip around some of the waters of Stockholm. Was very nice, even if I was falling asleep a bit...
Day two we ran round and saw the Palace, along with the changing of the guards, and the treasury. Then we had a quick sandwich and rushed off to the Vasa museum. We also saw a few churches along the way.
Day three, we took a steam boat to Drottingholm Palace. Much nicer than the one in the main square. The gardens looked beautiful in the sunshine. We then headed back and went up Katarina lift (near Slussen) to get a high up view of the old town. Well worth the trip. Kaknas tower was a taller alternative, but we decided it wasnt worth the bus trip.
Day four was our final day, so we did a tour of the city hall (not something high on our list, but actually surprisingly inetersting) and then we jumped on another boat tour, purely becuase it was raining, the ticket was free (included on the Stockholm card that we had purchased for the trip) and it was leaving from outside the city hall 15 minutes after our tour had finished. After that it was just time for some serious shopping. I bought 8 CDs (Mans, Danny, September, Molly Sanden, Sanna Neilsen, Jonathan Fagerlund x2, and Velvet) and we bought some nice souvenirs too. Back to the ferry, exhusted but happy.

Friday was my mothers first taste of Finland. Unfortunately I wasnt much of a guide, as I fell alseep for 4 hours, and then was a bit grumpy on the quick tour of the town I gave her before running of to my boyfriends. Not many brownie points there then. But today I took her to Naantali, which looked lovely in the sunshine and was a lot busier than the last time I went in the Autumn. We just strolled around, taking it all in, and then gave in a bought a Moomin souvenir (picture to follow... if I remember). We then headed back to the flat where I cooked shepherds pie for us both, so hoping that makes up for the lost brownie points of yesterday. Tomorrow, we're going for lunch with the boyfriend and then off to Ruissalo (weather permitting) before catching a night train to Rovaniemi! Busy busy busy.

3 comments:

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Some serious CD shopping indeed! Hope you and your mum are enjoying your hectic holiday so far.

M said...

Great to see you blogging about your journeys after all! It's seems like you have fun times ahead!

Keira said...

It was some serious shopping, and a rather expensive shop as well :s But well worth it. I'm still working my way through them now.

As for the blogging, I had a spare 20 minutes this morning, so thought I'd do a quick update. Looking forward to Rovaniemi tonight. Even if my mum is annoying me by being nervous about missing the train.

Mum: Come on, lets go for the bus
Me: We have 15 minutes yet
*Bus drives past the window*
Mum: Look we've just missed it
Me: No, that the half past one, we're aiming for the 10 to one, thats why we have 15 minutes yet!
Btw, the train isnt for another 90 minutes yet either.
Mothers. :p