June 24, 2009

July Plans

So I guess its about time I reveal to you the truely ambitious month of travel I have planned for July. My mother is coming to visit me here in Turku, but she doesnt like to fly (problems with her ears you see) so she is coming via 5 trains and a ferry! So since she was coming all that way. I foolishly suggested that I extend my lease on my student flat (assuming there was anyone wanting to move in as early as July) and she stay for a few weeks and we could really explore. Little did I know what a headache organising everything would be. We got a little carried away with where we want to go and what-not, but here is the final plan...

05/07: I leave for Stockholm on the night ferry.
06/07: Mother joins me and we spend a few days exploring the Swedish capital.
09/07: We head to Turku on the night ferry.
12/07: We get a night train to Rovaniemi.
15/07: Return from Rovaniemi.
17/07: Head to Helsinki.
18/07: We take an early ferry to Tallinn.
19/07: Return to Helsinki, and meet my brother from the airport.
20/07: Head to Turku for the week.
24/07: Head back to Helsinki to see my brother off. Spend the night.
25/07: Take a train to St Petersburg.
28/07: Return from St Petersburg.
31/07: Sat moi moi to Turku. Take the night ferry to Stockholm, and then 5 trains to home!

How crazy is all that?! Well, its been a bit tricky booking all the various hotels, trains and ferrys. Not to mention arranging for another visa to Russia. I know that for my mum it is the trip of a lifetime, and she is so excited to see everything. I am happy to be visiting Stockholm again, and for a longer stay this time. And then I'm always happy to go back to Tallinn. Can't say I was overly enthused about going to St Petersburg again so soon after I've just been, and all the extra complications of getting visa's a what-not didnt help, but luckily the Russian consulate is here in Turku. Anyway, nearly everything has been booked now. Well, all the things my mum was in charge of is at least. I only just started my end of the deal, but I'm slowly getting sorted. Although maybe I should stop being so slow, what with it being less than 2 weeks away!

I finish work on tuesday. I can't believe it. Especially since there are still many assays to be done. Will have to trust that someone takes over from me. So anyway, you might not hear that much from me in July other than the odd quick update here and there.

No comments: